I've been absent from these parts for a few days, owing in no small part to the lingering need I have to, you know, write fiction, but along the way I've encountered a few things of note:
1. I love Susan Straight -- not in a romantic way, though Wendy is really smitten with her, too -- and this interview might show why. She's smart, funny and one of the finest writers working today.
2. The new issue of Hobart arrived this week and I'm happy to say that I then ate some bad Mexican and was able to spend quality time with it. If you haven't been watching, Hobart has transformed itself from being just an insanely funny and interesting web & print journal into an insanely funny and interesting web and print journal that happens to feature some of the best new fiction of any journal in America.
3. I set up a MySpace account because it seemed like all the cool 17 year olds and pederasts were doing it and while I pledged I'd start cross-posting my blog to it, I am simply too lazy to actually do it. In fact, this very post is not being cross posted. So, is there a way to do it automatically that I'm too dumb to figure out? Also, uhm, yeah, I'm a little hazy as to the purpose of my MySpace. Lots of people keep asking to be my friend, which seems very nice of them, but, yeah, am I supposed to reciprocate? Am I supposed to start soliciting friends? There are a few hotties who seem to like my books, and a few really fucked up looking people, too, and a few people who, uhm, yeah, seem like they should be in prison. So. Yeah. What am I supposed to be doing and is there a reason about ten other writers I know are doing it, too?
4. If you look hard, I'm standing next to Stephen Perkins in this video. Of course, it's me 15 years ago, but I'm there. I may have to put up a photo to prove it, but I'm there.
5. Get your urban shmatta now....your Goldberg very soon...at Jewcy.